…Here come the Patriots
If the Bears play in the first half (particularly the tackling) did not have you concerned ENOUGH going into the Patriots game this upcoming weekend…then I hope you didn’t watch the dismantling of the Jets that the Patriots performed on Monday night. WOW. 45-3. Now, I will go on record as being one of the few people that thought the Jets were a bit overrated, and lucky to be 9-2 going into that game; but Tom Brady made that defense look bad. BAD. B. A. D. So here are a few of my thoughts going into this weekend’s game:
1) We MUST tackle better. Ever since getting rid of Randy Moss, the Patriots run alot more quick-hitting, shorter routes. Then they rely on their WRs, TEs, and RBs out of the backfield to make you miss and pick up extra yards. Brady only completed 2 or 3 passes that traveled in the air longer than 10 yards in the entire Monday Night game. IF we tackle like we did in the Eagles game, we will be successful on defense. If we tackle like we did in the Lions game, they could put 40 on us too.
2) On offense, the Jets got so far behind that they had to abandon the running game alot earlier than they wanted too. But they DID average almost 5 yards per carry. Passing-wise, Matt Sanchez was barely at 50 percent completion %, but he had a ton of passes dropped. And he had 3 INTs. The Pats defense will make some big plays, but they will allow you to move the ball down the field in chunks. We just have to avoid the big mistake, which Jay has done really well over the past 3-4 weeks.
1) Vince Wilfork/Gerard Warren versus Olin Kruetz/Roberto Garza/Chris Williams- Wilfork was hanging out in the Jets backfield all night long on Monday. Against an All-Pro center in Nick Mangold. I expect alot of rollouts; because the Patriots DE’s are not as strong as their interior defensive line. And if we can give Jay time, our WRs should have a field day against that secondary. Not much speed back there.
2) Brandon Tate versus Devin Hester-field position could be HUGE in this game, and it will be up to the two return men to have big games. Brandon Tate has changed a few games already this year for the Pats, and we have the best returner. EVER. This game should be back-and-forth, so a big return in this game could be the difference.
3) DJ Moore versus Wes Welker- I know we play alot of zone, but with Welker operating out of the slot most of the time, we need to DJ Moore to have a big game and neutralize Brady’s favorite WR—Welker is too good to keep the ball away from, but tackling him and limiting him to short gains will be very important.
My prediction—we are at home, which more importantly mean the Pats are away. Away from the Fake Turf and onto our mess of a field. We win, 23-17.